Are there any temptations in your life that are just too powerful to resist? Do you feel as if you are powerless against certain temptations that come in your life?
According to God, there is NO temptation that can overcome you, unless you, yourself allow it to. There is also no temptation that you will face in your life that is unique only to you or your life. Therefore whatever temptations you are battling in your life, the chances are that there are many people who are also battling the same type of temptation. The question is: Are you overcoming your temptations, or are your temptations conquering you?
You could be struggling with a type of addiction, lust, pornography, foul language, anger, fornication, hatred, greed and the like. God says that you CAN overcome ALL temptation that comes your way.
Hebrews 2:18 NKJV
For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.
Jesus Himself was tempted in every way by satan, but Jesus overcame EVERY temptation and trial that the devil threw at Him. If we are to overcome temptation, we must learn from Jesus and we must imitate His methods and the advice and teachings that God gives through His word.
In order to resist temptation you need to know, understand and apply the following in your life:
1. KNOW & OBEY GOD’s WORD: You need to be rooted in God’s word. Jesus responded to EVERY temptation from the devil with God’s word. Jesus not only knew and spoke God’s word against every temptation – but He also obeyed the word of God. (Matthew 4:1-11). You therefore need to study the word of God and let it be part of your very fabric so that you may be obedient to His word. (Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You. – Psalms 119:11 NKJV)
2. YOU MUST AVOID or RUN: You need to avoid or run away from tempting situations. At times the best response is to leave any tempting situation. When Joseph was tempted to commit adultery by Potiphar’s wife, Joseph literally ran away. (Genesis 39:11, 12). Joseph didn’t wait long enough to “observe” or “ponder” or “take a peak” because if he did, it might have caused him to have second thoughts which may have led him into sin. (Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. – 2 Timothy 2:22 NKJV)
3. ASSOCIATE WITH THE RIGHT FRIENDS: You need to associate with good, mature friends who will not corrupt you. The people whom you allow to influence your life and decisions can either have a good effect or a bad effect on your life. If your friends are a negative influence, then the devil can work through them to tempt you. Mob psychology and peer pressure can therefore be a method by which temptation may creep in. (Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits. – 1 Corinthians 15:33 NKJV)
4. WALK IN THE SPIRIT: It is important to continuously be led by the Holy Spirit. When Jesus was tempted, the scriptures say that He was led by the Spirit of God (Matthew 4:1), (Luke 4:1). The Holy Spirit gives us strength and will appropriately help us in our time of weakness or testing. (I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. – Galatians 5:16 NKJV)
5. THROUGH JESUS, YOU CAN OVERCOME: Whenever you are tempted, Jesus fully understands the pressure you are going through, because He too was tempted. Jesus however overcame every temptation and He will help you to do the same. (For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted. – Hebrews 2:18 NKJV)
6. THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY OF ESCAPE: There is NO temptation that is too powerful for you. For every temptation that you face in your life, God has prepared an escape plan or a Biblical method by which you will overcome the temptation. – (No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. – 1 Corinthians 10:13 NKJV)
7. REMEMBER YOUR IDENTITY & AUTHORITY IN CHRIST: You are a child of the Most High God. You are more than a conqueror in Christ. Even the devil attempted to plant a seed of doubt in Jesus’ mind regarding whether or not Jesus was indeed the Son of God. Every time the devil tempted Jesus, he would begin by saying “IF you are the Son of God…” (Matthew 4:1-11). When the devil succeeds in making you doubt your true identity in Christ, you will then also doubt the authority that God has given you over the enemy. (Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. – Romans 8:37 NKJV)
We live in a culture filled with moral depravity. Wherever you go, there are many things that may entice you and tempt you to sin. However God want us to be righteous through Christ. God wants us to be a shining light in a spiritually dark world. God does not want us to conform to the standards and pleasure of this world (Romans 12:1,2).
TODAY, don’t allow temptation to get the better of you. There is a way of escape. Always know that you are more than a conqueror in Christ Jesus.