Why Do People Reject Jesus As their Saviour?
Why do people reject Jesus as their Saviour and Lord? There are many reasons why people would reject Jesus. Below are the reasons why people refuse or reject Jesus and the scriptures which attempt to answer, encourage and persuade those who give excuses for rejecting Christ as Lord and Saviour.
1. They Don’t Believe In God
- Romans 1:20-21 ESV – For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
- Hebrews 11:6 ESV – And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.
2. They Don’t Believe That Jesus Is The Only Way To Heaven
- John 14:6 ESV – Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
- 1 Timothy 2:5-6 ESV – For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
3. They Don’t Believe in a Heaven or Hell
- John 14:2-4 ESV – In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.
- Revelations 21:8 ESV – But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.
4. They Are Discouraged By The Behaviour of Hypocrites
- Matthew 6:1-4 ESV – “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. 2 “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
- Matthew 15:7-9 ESV – You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: 8 “‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; 9 in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.
- Romans 2:3 ESV – Do you suppose, O man—you who judge those who do such things and yet do them yourself—that you will escape the judgment of God?
5. They Love Their Sinful Lifestyle & They Don’t Want To Give It Up
- Galatians 5:18-22 ESV – But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
- Romans 12:2 ESV – Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
- Hebrews 11:25 ESV – Choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin.
6. They Follow A Different Religion / A Different Belief System
- Exodus 20:3 ESV – “You shall have no other gods before Me.”
- 1 Corinthians 10:20-22 ESV – No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be participants with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons. 22 Shall we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than he?
- 1 Timothy 4:1 ESV – Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons
7. They Fear Persecution and They Are Afraid of the Gospel
- Matthew 5:10 ESV – Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Matthew 10:28 ESV – And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
8. They Have A Deceived & False Perception of Christ
- Matthew 16:13-17 ESV – Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” 14 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
- 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 ESV – But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 4 For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough.
9. They Believe Their Personal Works Are Enough Without Christ
- 1 John 5:12 ESV – Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.
- Ephesians 2:8-10 ESV – For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
10. They Believe That They Themselves Are Gods
- Exodus 20:3 ESV – “You shall have no other gods before Me.”
- Matthew 24:24 ESV – For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.
- Matthew 24:5 ESV – For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray.
Would You Like To Accept Jesus Christ Today?
Galatians 3:26 NKJV
For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
2 Peter 3:9 NKJV
The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
The love & grace of God is abundant and always present to allow any person to become a child of God. Therefore if you are reading this article and have never given your life to Christ or have never been born again – God is ready to receive you today as His son or daughter if by FAITH you will believe in His Son Jesus Christ and believe in the work that Jesus did on the cross by taking your penalty upon Himself dying on the cross in your place for your sins.
Salvation is TOTALLY FREE. It is a GIFT of God. You are saved by GRACE and not by your personal ability or works. You are saved because Christ paid for your sins. Do you believe? Believe in Christ today & by faith give your life to Him & become a child of God.
DO YOU WANT TO BE A CHRISTIAN or A FOLLOWER OF JESUS CHRIST???
1. ACKNOWLEDGE: “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).
This means that we have all broken God’s laws and God’s 10 Commandments like those mentioned in Exodus 20:1-17. For example, if you have told a lie; if you have stolen something; if you have lusted after somebody or if you have coveted. This means you are guilty of breaking at least one or more of God’s 10 Commandments. Breaking God’s commandments makes us sinners. The fact that we are sinners who have broken God’s law means that we are accountable to God who is the Lawgiver. Romans 6:23 says that “the wages of sin is death BUT the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord”
You must acknowledge that you are a sinner who has broken God’s commandments and that you therefore need Jesus in your life.
2. REPENT: “Unless you repent you will all likewise perish” (Luke 13:3), “Repent therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19)
Repenting means: to change your mind; a sincere turning away, in heart, mind and action;
Therefore God wants you to repent of sinful values and of sinful living. God wants you to decide to
follow Him and to make Jesus the Lord of your life.
3. CONFESSION: “If we confess our sins. He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). “That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9)
God is a forgiving God. God will forgive any sin that you have done because Jesus died for ALL your sins and to set you free from the bondage of all types of sin in your life.
4. BELIEVE: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).
You must believe that ONLY Jesus can save you and restore your relationship with God. You must believe that Jesus is the ONLY way by which you can have everlasting life and escape from eternal separation from God. You must believe that Jesus died on the cross for you and resurrected from the grave.
“He came to His own, and His own did not receive him, But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name” (John 1:11-12)
By faith, You must receive Jesus as Your Lord & Savior and therefore; you become a child of God; you become born again; you become a Christian; you restore your broken relationship with God
Why Not Make Your Eternal Decision NOW?
We become born again Christians by GRACE through FAITH or TOTAL TRUST in Jesus Christ as our Lord & Savior (Galatians 3:26) & (Ephesians 2:8,9). Salvation is a FREE gift received through FAITH in Christ.
PLEASE NOTE: You can choose to pray in your own words. This prayer is a sample prayer and it is only an EXPRESSION of your faith, belief & trust in Jesus. Salvation is by GRACE through FAITH or BELIEVING in Christ Jesus as your Lord & Saviour.
“Lord Jesus, I thank You for Your love. I thank You that You died on the cross for me and resurrected so that I may have life through You.
I confess Lord that I have sinned against You and today I ask You to forgive me of all of my sins, past present and future.
Today I repent and have decided to follow you. Thank you for forgiving all my sins.
From this moment, come into my life Lord Jesus & take full control of my life. I want to follow You Jesus and I want to follow Your ways. Save me and from today, make me the person You want me to be.
I receive You Lord Jesus right now by faith. I trust You as my Lord and Savior – Amen”
Have you accepted & believed in Jesus Christ as a result of reading this article and would like to know more about what to do next? If so please acknowledge by clicking the “I Have Accepted Jesus Christ” button below