What is a Christian According to Worldly Perceptions?
Many atheists claim that they used to be “Christians” before they decided to become atheists. They claim that they used to go to church, read the Bible and pray before they became atheists.
However, can a person who claims to be a “former Christian” end up in a position where they totally do not believe in the existence of God? Was that “former Christian” actually a true Christian in the first place?
What is a Christian? Does the world & the Bible have the same definition of what it means to be a Christian?
The secular world has incorrectly defined what it means to be a Christian. Even certain dictionaries do not correctly define the word “Christian” because these particular dictionaries do not observe a Biblical view of what it means to be a Christian.
Some people will incorrectly assume that becoming a Christian is a result of being born in a “Christian” family or being affiliated with a particular church. Even certain cults will define themselves as being Christian whilst rebelling against basic & critical Biblical foundations of what it means to be a Christian. Also others will presume that you can become a Christian or receive salvation by observing the law or the 10 commandments.
None of these perceptions or definitions are correct as they contradict a Biblical view.
What Is A Christian According to The Bible?
The word “Christian” appears 3 times in the Bible in the following scriptures: Acts 11:26, Acts 26:28 and 1 Peter 4:16.
The word Christian refers to a person who is a genuine follower of Christ and the teachings of the word of God. It also means: to be Christ-like in relation to behavior, speech, thinking, values and principles.
Being a Christian means having a genuine relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
A Christian can be Biblically described & defined as the following:
(3) A Christian is a person who has received God’s free gift of salvation & eternal life. He/she believes in Jesus Christ and that Christ died for his/her sins (John 3:16), (Romans 10:9-13), (Romans 6:23).
(5) A Christian is a person who believes that Jesus is the only way, the truth & the life and that there is no other method by which one can reconcile with God except through Christ (John 14:6), (1 Timothy 2:5)
(6) A Christian is a new creation in Christ Jesus (2 Corinthians 5:17).
(7) A Christian is a person who is not hypocritical but instead he/she seeks a genuine & obedient relationship with God (Matthew 7:21-28)
Have You Accepted Jesus Christ? Are You A Born Again Christian?
If you are reading this article and you have never given your life to Jesus Christ, it’s important to know that Jesus died for your sins. He took your punishment on the cross so that whoever believes in Him in faith will not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16).
As mentioned above, salvation is a FREE GIFT and salvation is not received by works but it is received by FAITH in Jesus Christ. It is that simple. A person must repent & by faith accept Jesus Christ as Lord & Saviour because Jesus is the only way, the truth & the life and the only Mediator between God & man.
DO YOU WANT TO BE A CHRISTIAN / A FOLLOWER OF JESUS CHRIST???
Here are a few things you need to understand about why we need salvation through Jesus Christ…
- ACKNOWLEDGE: “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). “God be merciful to me a sinner” (Luke 18:13).
You must acknowledge that you are a sinner and that you therefore need Jesus in your life.
- REPENT: “Unless you repent you will all likewise perish” (Luke 13:3), “Repent therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19)
Repenting means: to change your mind; a sincere turning away, in heart, mind and action;
Therefore God wants you to repent of sinful values and of sinful living. God wants you to decide to follow Him and to make Jesus the Lord of your life.
- CONFESSION: “If we confess our sins. He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). “That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9)
God is a forgiving God. God will forgive any sin that you have done because Jesus died for ALL your sins and to set you free from the bondage of all types of sin in your life.
- BELIEVE:“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting” (John 3:16). “He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned” (Mark 16:16)
You must believe that ONLY Jesus can save you and restore your relationship with God. You must believe that Jesus is the ONLY way by which you can have everlasting life and escape from eternal separation from God. You must believe that Jesus died on the cross for you and resurrected from the grave.
- RECEIVE:“He came to His own, and His own did not receive him, But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name” (John 1:11-12)
By faith, You must receive Jesus as Your Lord & Saviour and therefore; you become a child of God; you become born again; you become a Christian; you restore your broken relationship with God
Why not make your eternal decision now and pray the following prayer?
You can say this prayer below. This prayer is only an expression / declaration of your trust & belief in Jesus. Salvation is through FAITH or TOTAL TRUST in Jesus as your Saviour.
“Lord Jesus, I thank You for Your love. I thank You that You died on the cross for me and resurrected so that I may have life through You.
I confess Lord that I have sinned against You and today I ask You to forgive me of all of my sins, past present and future.
I repent of all of my sins and I ask You to cleanse me Jesus.
Thank You for forgiving my sins.
From this moment, come into my life Lord Jesus & take full control of my life. I want to follow You Jesus and I want to follow Your ways. Save me and from today, make me the person You want me to be.
I receive You Lord Jesus right now by faith. I make You my Lord and Saviour
Have you, by faith, received & accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior because of what you have read here? If so, please let us know by clicking on the “I have accepted Jesus Christ today” button below so that we may explain this wonderful decision you have made & steps you can make to grow in the Lord.