When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, “Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?” 14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
The world claims Jesus Christ to be many things – but who is Jesus Christ? Was He simply a prophet? Was He a good and charismatic religious leader? Was Jesus Christ simply just a man or is Jesus more than just a historical figure?
Two Views of Jesus Christ
The truth is, there are only 2 ways by which we can view Jesus. We can either view Jesus from a natural viewpoint or we can understand and receive revelation of who Jesus Christ is from a spiritual viewpoint.
The world views Jesus from a natural or general viewpoint. John 1:10 says “He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him”.
Therefore the world cannot recognize Christ, neither can the world understand or know who Jesus Christ is because the natural viewpoint of Christ is limited in its understanding of the identity of Christ.
However the true revelation of who Jesus Christ is can only come by spiritual revelation through the Father. In Matthew 16:15-17, Peters understanding and revelation of the true identity of Jesus Christ was revealed spiritually and not naturally.
Matthew 16:15-17 says: He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
WHO IS JESUS CHRIST? (Part 1)
1. Jesus is the Christ – Peter’s revelation of the identity of Jesus Christ is in 2 aspects. The first one is that Jesus is the Christ. This means that Jesus is the “Anointed One” or the “Messiah”. Jesus Christ means “Jesus the Messiah”. This title is used for people who act as redeemers and Jesus Christ is our Redeemer. John 1:41 says: He first found his own brother Simon, and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which is translated, the Christ).
2. Jesus is the Son of the living God – The second aspect of Peter’s revelation is that Jesus is the Son of God. Whenever we see the phrase “Son of” in the Bible it speaks of the character of a person. In Hebrew culture or Judaism they had no surnames. Instead people were identified from where they came from or according to their character. When people called Jesus “Son of God”, they were implying that He had the character & nature of God. Jesus is called the Son of God because He asserted the character of God and was equal to God (John 10:30).
John 10:30 – I and My Father are one.
3. Jesus is God Manifested in the Flesh – There are various people and religious cults who deny the deity and divinity of Jesus Christ. However there are many verses that speak of the deity of Christ and describe Jesus Christ as being fully God and fully man. 1 Timothy 3:16 says: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.
John 1:14 says: And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
4. Jesus is the Saviour of the World – The purpose of a savior is to remove us from danger and to preserve us into a place of safety. This is what Jesus does for believers as the Lord & Saviour of those who believe in Him and His finished work. Jesus saves us from the penalty of sin by removing our sins so that we may be acceptable to God. He also saves us from hell and the wrath of God which waits for those who refuse to repent and He gives us eternal life.
John 4:42 – Then they said to the woman, “Now we believe, not because of what you said, for we ourselves have heard Him and we know that this is indeed the Christ, the Savior of the world.”
Luke 2:11 – For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.
5. Jesus is the Way, the Truth & the Life – The answer to every area of your life is Jesus Christ. Without Christ we cannot have a divine direction and purpose for our life. Access to God, direction in life, the reality of life and quality of life can only come through having a relationship with Jesus Christ. Therefore Jesus gives us life, He gives us direction, He gives us the truth.
John 14:6 – Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me”.
6. Jesus is the Founder & Foundation of Christianity – Jesus is Creator of the Christian faith. Without Jesus Christ, Christianity would not exist. Therefore the purpose of all Christian believers in relation to the Christian faith is to conform more to the image of Jesus Christ;
Romans 8:29 says: For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.
The Christian faith must therefore conform to the image and standard of God through Jesus Christ.
1 Corinthians 3:11 – For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
Matthew 16:18-19 – And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
ARE YOU LIVING YOUR LIFE WITHOUT JESUS CHRIST???
Are you currently living your life without Jesus Christ as your personal Lord & Saviour? The devil wants to kill, steal and to destroy but Jesus came so that you may have life and have it abundantly (John 10:10).
We are all sinners and the penalty of our sins is death (Romans 3:23). We cannot save ourselves but we can only be saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ (Ephesians 2:8,9).
Therefore salvation is a free gift through Jesus Christ.
DO YOU WANT TO BE A CHRISTIAN or A FOLLOWER OF JESUS CHRIST???
1. ACKNOWLEDGE: “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). “God be merciful to me a sinner” (Luke 18:13).
You must acknowledge that you are a sinner and that you therefore need Jesus in your life.
2. REPENT: “Unless you repent you will all likewise perish” (Luke 13:3), “Repent therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19)
Repenting means: to change your mind; a sincere turning away, in heart, mind and action;
Therefore God wants you to repent of sinful values and of sinful living. God wants you to decide to
follow Him and to make Jesus the Lord of your life.
3. CONFESSION: “If we confess our sins. He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). “That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9)
God is a forgiving God. God will forgive any sin that you have done because Jesus died for ALL your sins and to set you free from the bondage of all types of sin in your life.
4. BELIEVE: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).
You must believe that ONLY Jesus can save you and restore your relationship with God. You must believe that Jesus is the ONLY way by which you can have everlasting life and escape from eternal separation from God. You must believe that Jesus died on the cross for you and resurrected from the grave.
“He came to His own, and His own did not receive him, But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name” (John 1:11-12)
By faith, You must receive Jesus as Your Lord & Savior and therefore; you become a child of God; you become born again; you become a Christian; you restore your broken relationship with God
Why Not Make Your Eternal Decision NOW?
We become born again Christians by GRACE through FAITH or TOTAL TRUST in Jesus Christ as our Lord & Savior (Galatians 3:26) & (Ephesians 2:8,9). Salvation is a FREE gift received through FAITH in Christ.
This prayer is only an EXPRESSION of your faith, belief & trust in Jesus. Salvation is by GRACE through FAITH or BELIEVING in Christ Jesus as your Lord & Saviour.
“Lord Jesus, I thank You for Your love. I thank You that You died on the cross for me and resurrected so that I may have life through You.
I confess Lord that I have sinned against You and today I ask You to forgive me of all of my sins, past present and future.
I repent of all of my sins and I ask You to cleanse me Jesus.
Thank You for forgiving my sins.
From this moment, come into my life Lord Jesus & take full control of my life. I want to follow You Jesus and I want to follow Your ways. Save me and from today, make me the person You want me to be.
I receive You Lord Jesus right now by faith. I trust You as my Lord and Savior – Amen”
Have you accepted & believed in Jesus Christ as a result of reading this article. If so please acknowledge by clicking the “I Have Accepted Jesus Christ” button below