When we become Christians, the Bible says that we become a new creature or a new creation in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17).
The Bible also says that we become citizens and children of the kingdom of God (Philippians 3:20).
However, when we become Christians, we are also required to give up or surrender a certain lifestyle and certain habits that would prevent us from growing and having a genuine relationship with God.
Below are at least 5 things that every Christian needs to give up
1. You need to give up your bad relationships. Bad company corrupts good character according to 1 Corinthians 15:33. The Bible also says that we should not be unequally yoked with unbelievers (2 Corinthians 6:14).
Therefore as Christian you need to be careful with whom you associate with, because most times the people we associate with can have the most influence in our lives. So as a Christian you need to spend more time with other Christians and less time with people whose values & lifestyle may lead you astray and hinder your relationship with God.
2. You need to give up on the desire to sin. As a Christian you will continue to make mistakes and you will still sin. However you need to give up on the DESIRE or the ENJOYMENT of sin. You need to cultivate a HATRED towards sin. The more you hate sin, the less likely you are to sin or enjoy sin.
Romans 12:9 says that we should hate what is evil and cling to what is good. Therefore we must hate evil; we must hate sin.
How can we hate sin? The more we love and fellowship with God and the more we obey God, the more we will hate sin. Drawing near to God enables us to resist the devil (James 4:7-8).
3. You need to give up the world. The Bible says that we should not be conformed to the standards of this world but be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:1-2).
As Christians we might live in the world. However we are not of this world. As Christians we are citizens of heaven and ambassadors of the Kingdom of God (2 Corinthians 5:20).
The world and the systems of the world are governed by different principles and values. God’s values and principles are the complete opposite of what the world systems offer and they can never agree. The Bible says that the devil rules the world or the systems of this world (2 Corinthians 4:4) and this is why Biblical values are hated and being challenged by the world even to this day.
4. You need to give up the works of the flesh. Sometimes we blame the devil for everything. But sometimes it’s really us who are to blame. Sometimes it’s really our flesh that is at fault.
Galatians 5:19-21 describes the flesh as being adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; and Paul warns and says: “of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.”
5. You need to give up your old nature. When you received Jesus Christ you became a new creation. The old has gone and the new has come. As a Christian you should therefore always put on Christ and represent Christ. Therefore as a Christian, your life is no longer about you but your life is about Christ and glorifying Christ (Galatians 2:20).
Jesus must increase while you decrease.
Conclusion & Question
If you’re reading this article – ask yourself – are you a Christian? Have you given up your own life so that you can follow Jesus Christ? The Bible says that without Christ we can do nothing and that without Christ we do not have true meaning in our lives. Jesus came that we may have abundant life and not perish. You can make the decision to follow Christ and become a citizen of the kingdom of God today.
DO YOU WANT TO BE A CHRISTIAN or A FOLLOWER OF JESUS CHRIST???
1. ACKNOWLEDGE: “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). “God be merciful to me a sinner” (Luke 18:13).
You must acknowledge that you are a sinner and that you therefore need Jesus in your life.
2. REPENT: “Unless you repent you will all likewise perish” (Luke 13:3), “Repent therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19)
Repenting means: to change your mind; a sincere turning away, in heart, mind and action;
Therefore God wants you to repent of sinful values and of sinful living. God wants you to decide to
follow Him and to make Jesus the Lord of your life.
3. CONFESSION: “If we confess our sins. He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). “That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9)
God is a forgiving God. God will forgive any sin that you have done because Jesus died for ALL your sins and to set you free from the bondage of all types of sin in your life.
4. BELIEVE: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).
You must believe that ONLY Jesus can save you and restore your relationship with God. You must believe that Jesus is the ONLY way by which you can have everlasting life and escape from eternal separation from God. You must believe that Jesus died on the cross for you and resurrected from the grave.
“He came to His own, and His own did not receive him, But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name” (John 1:11-12)
By faith, You must receive Jesus as Your Lord & Savior and therefore; you become a child of God; you become born again; you become a Christian; you restore your broken relationship with God
Why Not Make Your Eternal Decision NOW?
We become born again Christians by GRACE through FAITH or TOTAL TRUST in Jesus Christ as our Lord & Savior (Galatians 3:26) & (Ephesians 2:8,9). Salvation is a FREE gift received through FAITH in Christ.
PLEASE NOTE: You can choose to pray in your own words. This prayer is a sample prayer and it is only an EXPRESSION of your faith, belief & trust in Jesus. Salvation is by GRACE through FAITH or BELIEVING in Christ Jesus as your Lord & Saviour.
“Lord Jesus, I thank You for Your love. I thank You that You died on the cross for me and resurrected so that I may have life through You.
I confess Lord that I have sinned against You and today I ask You to forgive me of all of my sins, past present and future.
I repent of all of my sins and I ask You to cleanse me Jesus.
Thank You for forgiving my sins.
From this moment, come into my life Lord Jesus & take full control of my life. I want to follow You Jesus and I want to follow Your ways. Save me and from today, make me the person You want me to be.
I receive You Lord Jesus right now by faith. I trust You as my Lord and Savior – Amen”
Have you accepted & believed in Jesus Christ as a result of reading this article? If so please acknowledge by clicking the “I Have Accepted Jesus Christ” button below