Galatians 5:19-21 NKJV
Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
God does not desire that we live a lifestyle of sin where our life is controlled by the above fleshly characteristics. When we show hatred, jealousy, and commit adultery and idolatry, God is not glorified and neither is God pleased. A lifestyle of living according to the flesh does not give room for the Holy Spirit to work and change our lives.
I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.
What Walking in the Spirit means:
- By the Holy Spirit you have the visible attributes of God through the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22,23)
- Your mind and thought pattern is focused on the things of God and not on gratifying fleshly desires (Romans 8:5)
- The Holy Spirit dwells inside of you because you are born-again (Romans 8:9)
- You are a child of God who is led by the Spirit of God (Romans 8:14)
- You are making use of the spiritual gifts that God has given you through His Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:7-11)
- The Holy Spirit reminds us, gives us understanding and empowers us to glorify Christ (John 14:26) and (John 15:26)
- The Holy Spirit helps you to overcome the desires of the flesh (Galatians 5:16)
- The Holy Spirit helps you in your weaknesses (Romans 8:26)
Every born-again Christian has the Holy Spirit dwelling inside them. One of the purposes of the Holy Spirit is to imprint in you, teach you and enable you to become more like Jesus. Because you are a child of God, you therefore must visibly resemble the characteristics and attributes of God. The Holy Spirit enables you to have and display God’s attributes through the Fruit of the Spirit.
Before you became a Christian, you walked according to your fleshly desires. The flesh only desires to satisfy itself and when a person walks according to the lust of the flesh, his only desire is self-gratification. God does not participate or encourage any acts that are as a result of the lust of the flesh.
Therefore the attributes of the Holy Spirit are always opposed to the attributes of the flesh.
TODAY. Walk in the Spirit.