We’ve all at some point in our life have asked ourselves this question: Why is life so unfair???
We look at the situation in our world and we wonder if there will ever be any justice, fairness or equality in the world.
We may also ask ourselves these questions: Why do the wicked and corrupt prosper, while the righteous or innocent seem to struggle? Why isn’t God quick to bring justice to those who are abusive and wicked? Where is God during my time of pain and suffering?
To answer the above questions, it is important to understand 2 very important issues which are:
1. The condition of man
2. The condition of the world
Life Is Unfair Because Sin Exists – The Condition of Man
The Bible reveals that man was once perfect. In the beginning God created the universe and He created man in His own image (Genesis 1:27-28) and He saw that all that He had created was good (Genesis 1:31).
However the perfect condition of mankind tragically changed when Adam & Eve sinned by disobeying God in the garden of Eden (Genesis 3:1-24).
As a result of sin, the condition of man was no longer perfect. Instead the following occurred:
• Man’s view of himself changed (Genesis 3:7)
• Man’s view of God changed (Genesis 3:8-11)
• Man’s view of one another changed (Genesis 3:12-13)
• Man’s relationship with the earth changed (Genesis 3:17-19)
Therefore the sin in man brought in imbalance to life. The unfairness that exists in life is because mankind is the primary reason for why life is unfair.
2 Timothy 3:1-5 describes the worsening condition of mankind in the last days.
It says: But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. 2 For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, 4 treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.
Such a wicked condition of man’s heart explains why life is unfair. We live in a world where the love of man is growing cold; we seek only to satisfy our own fleshly desires instead of pleasing God; people do not love God and they do not love each other; we love darkness instead of light.
John 3:19-20 says: And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.
Therefore life is unfair because evil exists and so both evil and the unfair circumstances we experience in the world entered because of the sin of Adam in the garden of Eden.
Romans 5:12 says: Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned
Life Is Unfair Because Satan is the god of this World – The Condition of the World
The world as we currently know it has systems and values that are controlled by satan. Therefore life is unfair because the Scriptures refer to satan as being the “god of this world” who has “blinded the minds of unbelievers” (2 Corinthians 4:4).
So the devil has introduced philosophies, values, methods, religions and even economic systems that are contrary to God or the kingdom of God.
In Matthew 4:8-10 the devil showed Jesus all the “kingdoms of the world and their glory” and promised to give them to Jesus in exchange for His worship.
Romans 12:2 tells us “not to be conformed to this world” but that we should renew our mind and discern the will of God.
In Genesis 1:28-30 we learn that mankind was initially given dominion over the earth and that as a creation who was made in God’s image, man was given a special role to be a steward over the earth.
However, Adam & Eve submitted to the devil’s temptation thereby allowing satan to establish his own demonic systems and authority in the world.
Therefore as satan’s kingdom wars against the kingdom of God, there are many circumstances and situations that will occur in our lives that reflect the injustice and unfairness of life in general.
What Should We Do When Life Is Unfair?
- Proverbs 3:5-6 encourages us to trust in the Lord with all our heart and lean not on our own understanding. It also says that in all our ways we are to acknowledge God and He will direct our paths. It’s therefore important to live our life by faith and trust in God – and not according to our feelings. We are to trust God that despite our situation or circumstances, God is in control and He will direct our path in life.
- Romans 8:28 says “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose”.
So even though there are situations or circumstances that are happening around us, we must take comfort in the fact that God is sovereign and He is in full control of everything that happens in the universe.
There is nothing that surprises God. For every Christian believer, God is working all things for good. Therefore God can use bad situations for the good of the Christian believer.
- Even though we live in a corrupt world, there will come a time when God will ultimately perfect all things once again. The devil is living on borrowed time. Satan was already defeated by Jesus at the Cross. Therefore the devil will soon meet his demise.
God is a just God. God is a fair God. God will bring justice and all the world will know that God is indeed good. Psalms 37 says that we should not fret or be envious of wrongdoers for they will soon fade like the grass. God will one day bring balance and justice in a corrupt and unfair world.
- Remember that no matter how tough life can be, God is with you and He will never leave you nor forsake you. There is nothing physical or spiritual that can separate you from God’s love and He can lead you and guide you through every situation because in Christ you are more than a conqueror (Romans 8:31-39).
We must take comfort in the knowledge that God is in control and a perfect place called Heaven awaits those who believe and receive Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour. Therefore our current struggles are temporary.
DO YOU WANT TO BE A CHRISTIAN or A FOLLOWER OF JESUS CHRIST???
1. ACKNOWLEDGE: “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).
This means that we have all broken God’s laws and God’s 10 Commandments like those mentioned in Exodus 20:1-17. For example, if you have told a lie; if you have stolen something; if you have lusted after somebody or if you have coveted. This means you are guilty of breaking at least one or more of God’s 10 Commandments. Breaking God’s commandments makes us sinners. The fact that we are sinners who have broken God’s law means that we are accountable to God who is the Lawgiver. Romans 6:23 says that “the wages of sin is death BUT the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord”
You must acknowledge that you are a sinner who has broken God’s commandments and that you therefore need Jesus in your life.
2. REPENT: “Unless you repent you will all likewise perish” (Luke 13:3), “Repent therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19)
Repenting means: to change your mind; a sincere turning away, in heart, mind and action;
Therefore God wants you to repent of sinful values and of sinful living. God wants you to decide to
follow Him and to make Jesus the Lord of your life.
3. CONFESSION: “If we confess our sins. He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). “That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9)
God is a forgiving God. God will forgive any sin that you have done because Jesus died for ALL your sins and to set you free from the bondage of all types of sin in your life.
4. BELIEVE: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).
You must believe that ONLY Jesus can save you and restore your relationship with God. You must believe that Jesus is the ONLY way by which you can have everlasting life and escape from eternal separation from God. You must believe that Jesus died on the cross for you and resurrected from the grave.
“He came to His own, and His own did not receive him, But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name” (John 1:11-12)
By faith, You must receive Jesus as Your Lord & Savior and therefore; you become a child of God; you become born again; you become a Christian; you restore your broken relationship with God
Why Not Make Your Eternal Decision NOW?
We become born again Christians by GRACE through FAITH or TOTAL TRUST in Jesus Christ as our Lord & Savior (Galatians 3:26) & (Ephesians 2:8,9). Salvation is a FREE gift received through FAITH in Christ.
PLEASE NOTE: You can choose to pray in your own words. This prayer is a sample prayer and it is only an EXPRESSION of your faith, belief & trust in Jesus. Salvation is by GRACE through FAITH or BELIEVING in Christ Jesus as your Lord & Saviour.
“Lord Jesus, I thank You for Your love. I thank You that You died on the cross for me and resurrected so that I may have life through You.
I confess Lord that I have sinned against You and today I ask You to forgive me of all of my sins, past present and future.
Today I repent and have decided to follow you. Thank you for forgiving all my sins.
From this moment, come into my life Lord Jesus & take full control of my life. I want to follow You Jesus and I want to follow Your ways. Save me and from today, make me the person You want me to be.
I receive You Lord Jesus right now by faith. I trust You as my Lord and Savior – Amen”
Have you accepted & believed in Jesus Christ as a result of reading this article and would like to know more about what to do next? If so please acknowledge by clicking the “I Have Accepted Jesus Christ” button below