Who is the Holy Spirit? What is His function? Why do we need Him? How do I receive the Holy Spirit? How do I know the Holy Spirit lives in me?
Have you ever asked yourself any of these questions?
Who is the Holy Spirit
He is part of the Trinity or Godhead. He was there in the beginning when the heavens and the earth were created (Genesis 1:1,2).
He is a Person. That means He has a personality. He is the Spirit of God. He is the Spirit of Truth.
The Holy Spirit is NOT mysterious; NOT mystical; NOT an apparition; NOT magical.
Functions of the Holy Spirit
What did Jesus say would be the functions of the Holy Spirit in a person’s life?
- He will be your Helper (John 14:16)
- He will abide WITH YOU forever (John 14:16)
- He is the Spirit of Truth who is meant to dwell in believers or Christians only (John 14:17)
- Not only will the Holy Spirit dwell WITH you, but He will dwell IN you (John 14:17)
- The Holy Spirit will function IN THE NAME OF JESUS (John 14:26)
- The Holy Spirit will TEACH you all things (John 14:26)
- The Holy Spirit will BRING REMEMBRANCE of all things that Jesus has taught us (John 14:26)
- The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and will TESTIFY OF JESUS (John 15:26)
- The Holy Spirit will convict the world of sin (John 16:9)
- The Holy Spirit will guide you into ALL TRUTH (John 16:13)
- The Holy Spirit will GLORIFY JESUS (John 16:13)
- The Holy Spirit will tell you of things to come (John 16:13)
- The Holy Spirit helps you to be SPIRITUALLY MINDED (Romans 8:6,7)
- The Holy Spirit witnesses and affirms that you are indeed a child of God (Romans 8:14-17)
- The Holy Spirit helps us in our weaknesses and makes intercession for us so that we pray according to the will of God (Romans 8:26-27)
- The Holy Spirit helps us to overcome the flesh (Galatians 5:16-25)
- The Holy Spirit enables us to bear fruit so that you may glorify God (Galatians 5:22,23)
- The Holy Spirit gives spiritual gifts so that you may glorify God (1 Corinthians 12:1-12)
How Do I Receive The Holy Spirit
(1) All born again Christians receive the Holy Spirit at the moment of salvation. It is by the Spirit of God that we are sealed as being children of God in Christ. Romans 8:14-17 NKJV For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs — heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.
2 Corinthians 1:21-22NKJV
Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
Therefore to receive the Holy Spirit you must become a born again Christian.
(2) If you desire to receive the Holy Spirit just SIMPLY ASK & BELIEVE. Ask by PRAYING to GOD and He will DEFINITELY answer. Luke 11:9-13 NKJV “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, HOW MUCH MORE will your heavenly Father give the HOLY SPIRIT to those who ask Him!”
(3) REPENT – Acts 2:38-39 NKJV Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”
Repent is from the Greek word “metanoeo” which means literally: “change one’s mind.” In practical terms, it means ‘to do an about face’. You must consciously and practically change from sinful living. Remember that God looks at the sincerity of your heart to see that indeed you have repented.
The Evidence of the Holy Spirit in Your Life
You begin to bear the fruits of the Holy Spirit. The fruits of the Spirit are the characteristics of God which are LOVE, JOY, PEACE, PATIENCE, KINDNESS, GOODNESS, FAITHFULNESS, HUMILITY, SELF-CONTROL. These 9 fruits from the Holy Spirit show that the Spirit of God dwells in you and is working with you for the glory of God. Galatians 5:22-26 NKJV But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
You will begin to use your spiritual gifts for God’s glory. (1 Corinthians 12:1-12).
Therefore in order to glorify God by your life and for you to be able to bring others to a saving knowledge of God, you need the Holy Spirit in your life. The Holy Spirit will help you in your weaknesses and He will give you strength and the ability to fulfill God’s purpose for your life.