Why Jesus Is Better Than Any Superhero
[by Lantz Manomano]
For decades many of us have been fascinated by superhero comic books and movies about all kinds of superheroes from Batman, Superman, Iron Man, Wonder Woman and even Thor.
There are many reasons why superhero movies make billions of dollars at the cinemas. It’s because all comic book fans are engaged and invested in the characters, their storyline and we love to watch our beloved heroes battle and win against powerful evil villains.
We love superheroes because we are amazed at their god-like superpowers and physical abilities. We love the fact that superheroes are able to defend the world from evil and wicked enemies who are bent on destroying humanity. We love the idea of being safe, protected and hopeful in a world where someone exists to fearlessly save us when danger and terror is near. We also love the idea that there is someone who can bring peace and justice in an unjust world.
Unfortunately comic book superheroes like Superman or Spiderman are fictional characters who don’t exist in the real world. So if they don’t exist, then they can’t really save us.
However, do real-life superheroes who have supernatural abilities exist? Does a superhero exist out there who is capable of saving individuals and mankind from peril and destruction?
The Bible speaks of a real life Person who is like a superhero. In fact, He is more than just a superhero. He is the Alpha and Omega. He is the God-man Jesus Christ through whom all creation was made (Colossians 1:15).
Jesus Christ came to save the world from spiritual destruction to anyone who will believe and receive Him through faith. He is not just a saviour – but He is the only true Saviour of the world.
Jesus is no ordinary hero. He is the perfect Hero and the true Saviour for mankind.
John 3:16-17 says: “For God so loved the world, that he gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through Him.”
There is the expression which says “The gospel is the only story where the Hero dies for the villain”.
The gospel means the “good news”. The Hero is of course Jesus Christ. The villains that the Hero dies for is mankind. We are all sinners who have sinned against a perfect and holy God (Romans 3:23). So we are the villains because our sinfulness or sin nature is constantly against God’s holy laws thereby placing us at enmity with God. Our sins are what sent Christ to the cross.
So in order to be reconciled to God and to avoid the eternal penalty for sin, we need a saviour. We need a Hero to save us from sin and from the penalty for sin (Romans 6:23). This Saviour that we need is Jesus Christ.
If we are not cleansed of our sin through believing in Jesus Christ as Saviour, we will ultimately face eternal destruction.
Thankfully, even though we have sinned, Jesus our Hero and Saviour offers us salvation as a free gift (Ephesians 2:8-9).
By being our Substitute on the cross, Jesus paid the penalty for our sins on the cross. Through the blood that He shed on the cross to redeem us, Jesus came to save us from the power of sin and to reconcile us back with God so that we would not have to suffer eternal punishment in hell.
John 14:6 – Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
So the good news is you don’t have to lose hope because we have One who is more than a superhero who has conquered death itself and has revealed Himself as the Saviour of the whole world (John 3:16, 1 John 2:2).
Let’s rejoice because we have One who we can call upon and who is willing to rescue us and show us a different path from the path we know.
So is Jesus Christ your Hero in your own life?
Well let me share with you why Jesus Christ is my Hero and why He is a Saviour to many others who have put their trust in Him.
While fictional characters like Superman may have come to earth from a different planet, Jesus Christ came from heaven. He is 100% man and 100% God. He had a miraculous birth and He came to save the world from the final judgment.
Here’s why Jesus is better than any superhero:
1. Jesus Christ is real. Unlike comic book heroes, Jesus Christ is not the figment of somebody’s imagination. He is real and He has always existed for eternity before the universe was created. He is the reason why the universe exists. So ironically we exist because God imagined us and then He created us.
John 1:1-3 – In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him was not any thing made that was made.
2. He has the name that is above every name. This means that there is no disease, no individual, no nation, no ideology, no object, no entity of any kind that is above Jesus Christ. All things whether living or dead submit to Jesus Christ because He has been given authority over all things. There is also no fictional superhero imaginable who is above the reality of the Person of Jesus Christ. Jesus is above all because He is God.
Philippians 2:9-11 says: Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father
3. We can only be saved by the name of Jesus Christ. He is closer than we think. Christ is literally a call away / prayer away for Him to save you (Acts 2:21). The only way to receive salvation is through one Saviour – Jesus Christ.
Romans 10:13 says: For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
Acts 4:12 says: And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.
4. Jesus Christ has no weaknesses. Unlike the other superheroes, Jesus Christ is perfect in every way. He was tested in all areas and there was no fault found in Him. Jesus has no character flaws or kryptonite to make Him weak.
So even though Jesus Christ is perfect, He understands our personal weaknesses, struggles and temptations because He too was tempted and tested in the world just like us. The difference is that Jesus Christ perfectly overcame satan, the flesh and the world with all its trials and temptations.
Hebrews 4:14-15 says: Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.
5. Jesus knows our hearts and thoughts. Matthew 9:3-4 – But some of the teachers of religious law said to themselves, “That’s blasphemy! Does He think He’s God?” Jesus knew what they were thinking, so He asked them, “Why do you have such evil thoughts in your hearts?
Christ is a Hero who is able to read our thoughts and the intents of our heart. He knows our inner most desires and motives. He knows exactly how many hairs we have on our head (Luke 12:7)
6. Jesus could perform any miracle. Jesus performed many signs and miracles to demonstrate that He was the Son of God or the promised Messiah who came to save the world. For example, He healed the sick, opened the eyes of the blind, healed the lame, multiplied food and even rose someone from the dead. With Jesus Christ, nothing is impossible.
John 20:30-31 – Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name.
7. Jesus is alive. He conquered death. He resurrected after being crucified on the cross. This is the best quality that has stamped Jesus as the world’s superhero because He could not die but He chose to lay His life for all mankind. Even death could not defeat Him (Luke 24:1-8).
8. All authority belongs to Him both in heaven and on earth. Jesus came and told His disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth” (Matthew 28:18).
These are just a few of the many reasons why Jesus is the ultimate Hero. As our Saviour, He is gracious enough to let us partake of His kingdom and become part of the adopted family of God.
Below are some benefits of being connected with Jesus Christ our Saviour and true Hero:
• To ensure our safety we have been adopted into His family those who have and who will call on His name for salvation. John 1:12-13 – But to all who believed Him and accepted Him, He gave the right to become children of God. They are reborn—not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God.
• We have the privilege of experiencing His authority working through us according to His will and purposes in our own life. Matthew 10:8 – Heal the sick, raise the dead, cure those with leprosy, and cast out demons. Give as freely as you have received!
• For our assurance Christ has given us the Holy Spirit to be with us at all times. John 14:16-17 – And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive Him, because it isn’t looking for Him and doesn’t recognize Him. But you know Him, because He lives with you now and later will be in you.
• When Jesus died and rose, He conquered death for us and those who have been saved have passed from death to life
But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ – 1 Corinthians 15:57
“I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life – John 5:23
I pray we get to know that there is only true Hero who saves and rescues us from sin and death and from the lies of the devil. Who are your heroes? Can your heroes save you from hell and sin? Do they bring inner peace into your life? Are you able to identify Jesus Christ as your Hero? Do you believe that He can save you if you call on Him? Jesus is waiting on us to call on Him and not only when we are in trouble, but He wants to be in every part of our life. He wants to speak and order our steps to a life of wisdom, victory and eternal life.
DO YOU WANT TO BE A CHRISTIAN or A FOLLOWER OF JESUS CHRIST???
1. ACKNOWLEDGE: “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).
This means that we have all broken God’s laws and God’s 10 Commandments like those mentioned in Exodus 20:1-17. For example, if you have told a lie; if you have stolen something; if you have lusted after somebody or if you have coveted. This means you are guilty of breaking at least one or more of God’s 10 Commandments. Breaking God’s commandments makes us sinners. The fact that we are sinners who have broken God’s law means that we are accountable to God who is the Lawgiver. Romans 6:23 says that “the wages of sin is death BUT the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord”
You must acknowledge that you are a sinner who has broken God’s commandments and that you therefore need Jesus in your life.
2. REPENT: “Unless you repent you will all likewise perish” (Luke 13:3), “Repent therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19)
Repenting means: to change your mind; a sincere turning away, in heart, mind and action;
Therefore God wants you to change your mind about sinful values and of sinful living. God wants you to decide to follow Him and to make Jesus the Lord of your life.
3. CONFESSION: “If we confess our sins. He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). “That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9)
God is a forgiving God. God will forgive any sin that you have done because Jesus died for ALL your sins and to set you free from the bondage of all types of sin in your life.
4. BELIEVE: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).
You must believe that ONLY Jesus can save you and restore your relationship with God. You must believe that Jesus is the ONLY way by which you can have everlasting life and escape from eternal separation from God. You must believe that Jesus died on the cross for you and resurrected from the grave.
“He came to His own, and His own did not receive him, But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name” (John 1:11-12)
By faith, You must receive Jesus as Your Lord & Savior and therefore; you become a child of God; you become born again; you become a Christian; you restore your broken relationship with God
Why Not Make Your Eternal Decision NOW?
We become born again Christians by GRACE through FAITH or TOTAL TRUST in Jesus Christ as our Lord & Savior (Galatians 3:26) & (Ephesians 2:8,9). Salvation is a FREE gift received through FAITH in Christ.
PLEASE NOTE: You can choose to pray in your own words. This prayer is a sample prayer and it is only an EXPRESSION of your faith, belief & trust in Jesus. Salvation is by GRACE through FAITH or BELIEVING in Christ Jesus as your Lord & Saviour.
“Lord Jesus, I thank You for Your love. I thank You that You died on the cross for me and resurrected so that I may have life through You.
I confess Lord that I have sinned against You and today I ask You to forgive me of all of my sins, past present and future.
Today I repent and have decided to follow you. Thank you for forgiving all my sins.
From this moment, come into my life Lord Jesus & take full control of my life. I want to follow You Jesus and I want to follow Your ways. Save me and from today, make me the person You want me to be.
I receive You Lord Jesus right now by faith. I trust You as my Lord and Savior – Amen”
Have you accepted & believed in Jesus Christ as a result of reading this article and would like to know more about what to do next? If so please acknowledge by clicking the “I Have Accepted Jesus Christ” button below