[by Lantz Manomano] —
What is the gospel and what purpose or impact should the gospel of Christ have in our lives? Do people in general really understand what it is or what the word of God actually says about the gospel?
What is the Gospel?
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 – Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, 2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you— unless you believed in vain. 3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures
The gospel simply means the good news of Jesus Christ. The definition of the gospel of Jesus Christ is found in 1 Corinthian 15:1-4.
In a world where many false gospels and false doctrines exist, the authentic message and definition of the gospel may become distorted and irrelevant – but let’s examine 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 in order to reveal what this particular scripture tells us about what the authentic good news or gospel of Jesus Christ comprises of:
• Verse 3, the gospel message consists of the death of Christ for our sins,
• Verse 4, the gospel message consists of His burial and resurrection on the third day
We needed Christ to take our place because He took up human form (Galatians 4:4) in order to fulfill the law and satisfy God’s wrath as it could only be satisfied with One who knew no sin (2 Corinthians 5:21). His death and resurrection is good news because we know He is not dead and therefore we serve a living God. We also know He has overcome death and so that everyone who believes in Christ as Lord and Saviour has passed from death to life (John 5:24).
I hope by now you have an understanding of the gospel.
So let’s look into what the gospel does and its importance according to the scriptures:
• According to Romans 1:16, the gospel is the power unto salvation to everyone that believes in the good news of our Lord. The gospel message with its purpose and impact brings us to a realization that we need Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour.
• According to 1 Corinthians 1:18, the gospel or good news is foolishness to those perishing. In other words, the gospel message and its impact in our lives is deemed to be irrelevant and foolish by those people who reject it and by people who will eventually perish in hell.
How Does The Gospel Free Us?
The gospel is the first step to freedom because it results into a relationship from which we learn about the love of God and how God has ultimately given us freedom from the power of the enemy through our relationship with Jesus Christ.
The gospel helps us to understand the heart of God in relation to His desire to see all of mankind repenting. God desires that all of mankind should hear the gospel and be saved. Without accepting the gospel of Christ, we cannot have a genuine relationship with God.
Our relationship with God grows through our obedience and understanding of the Word of God and the gospel or good news of Christ helps us understand the heart of God.
The gospel also exposes the devil’s schemes and lies that have been spread through religious acts hiding in the name of Christ.
The good news frees us from:
• Blindness of the mind (2 Corinthians 4:4)
• Blindness of the heart (Ephesians 4:18)
• Blindness of the eyes (1 John 2:11, Mathew 6:23)
• The gospel free us from lies or spiritual deception (John 8:32, 44)
• Frees us from the world and worldly culture (John 17:9,14-17)
• Frees us from darkness into His marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9)
• Frees us from self or living for ourselves and into living for Christ (Galatians 2:20)
• Frees us from the traditions or philosophies of men (Mark 7:8)
These are just few examples of how we have been freed by the gospel.
Is the Gospel for a Specific People?
Did Jesus die only for a specific people? Did Christ come to save only a specific nation like Israel?
Many people will make a variety of excuses of not wanting to receive or accept the gospel of Jesus Christ.
For example, some people might claim that the gospel is a “white man’s religion”; Others may believe in their culture or tradition above the word of God; Others may simply be people who love their sinful lifestyle so much that they reject the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
However the gospel reveals the grace and mercy of God so that if people are to reject it, they will ultimately have no excuse because to reject the gospel means to also reject the grace and mercy of God. Jesus Christ died for the entire world (John 3:16) and not just for a specific race or tribe. We are all sinners (Romans 3:23) and therefore everyone needs saving.
Mathew 24:14 says: And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations, and then shall the end come.
Luke 24:47 says: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem
The scriptures are on point and leave no room for confusion, instead God demonstrates that the Gospel message is for everyone. So please open your heart to God’s goodness if you have not done so already.
What Does the Gospel Reveal?
The gospel reveals the heart of God and of man, so there are things that do come with the gospel. Let’s list some of the things:
• (1 Thessalonians 1:5) – it’s not in word only but also in power, Holy Spirit and much assurance
• (1 Thessalonians 1:8-10), there is not only freedom when we repent and accept the gospel, but there is also judgment and wrath for those who reject or disobey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
• (Philippians 1:27), there’s unity in gospel that is one spirit and one mind for the faith of the gospel
• (2 Corinthians 4:3-4) It is hidden to those who are lost because their minds are blinded by satan who is the god of this world.
• (Acts 5:41) Suffering for the good news of Jesus Christ
• (Luke 21:12) Persecutions leading to trials and prison time
These are things that show that God wants all men saved. At the same time we find that many men will resist the good news because they can’t surrender to Christ’s Lordship. Persecution and suffering will come but Christ’s glory is revealed in us through our obedience to the good news of our Lord Jesus Christ. I pray we may pursue a relationship with Christ and be taught of His good news and experience the power and joy that comes with the gospel. Be blessed.
DO YOU WANT TO BE A CHRISTIAN or A FOLLOWER OF JESUS CHRIST???
1. ACKNOWLEDGE: “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).
This means that we have all broken God’s laws and God’s 10 Commandments like those mentioned in Exodus 20:1-17. For example, if you have told a lie; if you have stolen something; if you have lusted after somebody or if you have coveted. This means you are guilty of breaking at least one or more of God’s 10 Commandments. Breaking God’s commandments makes us sinners. The fact that we are sinners who have broken God’s law means that we are accountable to God who is the Lawgiver. Romans 6:23 says that “the wages of sin is death BUT the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord”
You must acknowledge that you are a sinner who has broken God’s commandments and that you therefore need Jesus in your life.
2. REPENT: “Unless you repent you will all likewise perish” (Luke 13:3), “Repent therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19)
Repenting means: to change your mind; a sincere turning away, in heart, mind and action;
Therefore God wants you to repent of sinful values and of sinful living. God wants you to decide to
follow Him and to make Jesus the Lord of your life.
3. CONFESSION: “If we confess our sins. He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). “That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9)
God is a forgiving God. God will forgive any sin that you have done because Jesus died for ALL your sins and to set you free from the bondage of all types of sin in your life.
4. BELIEVE: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).
You must believe that ONLY Jesus can save you and restore your relationship with God. You must believe that Jesus is the ONLY way by which you can have everlasting life and escape from eternal separation from God. You must believe that Jesus died on the cross for you and resurrected from the grave.
“He came to His own, and His own did not receive him, But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name” (John 1:11-12)
By faith, You must receive Jesus as Your Lord & Savior and therefore; you become a child of God; you become born again; you become a Christian; you restore your broken relationship with God
Why Not Make Your Eternal Decision NOW?
We become born again Christians by GRACE through FAITH or TOTAL TRUST in Jesus Christ as our Lord & Savior (Galatians 3:26) & (Ephesians 2:8,9). Salvation is a FREE gift received through FAITH in Christ.
PLEASE NOTE: You can choose to pray in your own words. This prayer is a sample prayer and it is only an EXPRESSION of your faith, belief & trust in Jesus. Salvation is by GRACE through FAITH or BELIEVING in Christ Jesus as your Lord & Saviour.
“Lord Jesus, I thank You for Your love. I thank You that You died on the cross for me and resurrected so that I may have life through You.
I confess Lord that I have sinned against You and today I ask You to forgive me of all of my sins, past present and future.
Today I repent and have decided to follow you. Thank you for forgiving all my sins.
From this moment, come into my life Lord Jesus & take full control of my life. I want to follow You Jesus and I want to follow Your ways. Save me and from today, make me the person You want me to be.
I receive You Lord Jesus right now by faith. I trust You as my Lord and Savior – Amen”
Have you accepted & believed in Jesus Christ as a result of reading this article and would like to know more about what to do next? If so please acknowledge by clicking the “I Have Accepted Jesus Christ” button below