What is the Helmet of Salvation
Ephesians 6:17 NKJV
And take the helmet of salvation,
In Ephesians 6:11, Paul tells us to put on the WHOLE armor of God. Part of this armor is the Helmet of Salvation. Now the question is, what does Paul mean by “helmet of salvation”, and how do I know that I am equipped with the helmet of salvation.
Basically any type of helmet is meant to protect a person’s head. And inside a person’s head is the person’s mind. So Paul is really talking about protecting your mind, your thought life and most importantly your core beliefs.
The battle with the enemy begins in your mind. Your mind and thoughts are the battleground. There is a saying that goes “Sow a thought, reap an action…”. Therefore before you are going to act on anything, you would have FIRST thought about it in your mind.
Therefore because the helmet of salvation is a PROTECTIVE part of the Armor of God, we therefore must have a MINDSET that PROTECTS us from the enemy.
What kind of a mind do you have? Are you Godly minded or are you worldly minded?
What does the Bible say about our mind, our thought life and what type of mind we should have?
Some of the scriptures teach us the following:
1. (Proverbs 23:7 “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.”) You are a product of your thinking; You can become the very thing you are thinking; Think good thoughts and your actions will be good; Think bad thoughts and your actions will become bad
2. (Romans 12:2 “… but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God”). When you are in Christ and you have repented, it means that you have a new mind, because you have become a new creation. Your mind is no longer focused on worldly values but your mind is renewed and focused on the kingdom of God. (Ephesians 4:23-24 “…and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness”).
3. (Philippians 2:5 “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus”). Do you have the mind of Christ Jesus? As children of God we must imitate Jesus, therefore we must think the way Jesus thinks in our lives or in the situations that we face.
4. (Colossians 3:2 “Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth”). Your mind needs to be focused on the things that pertain to the kingdom of God and not on the world. When you become a child of God, you become a citizen of God’s kingdom; your values and beliefs change according to the kingdom you belong to.
5. (2 Timothy 1:7 “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind”). The Holy Spirit will help you to have a Godly mind. God’s Spirit will teach you and lead you into all truth as Jesus said, and the Holy Spirit will enable you to live according to the truth of God’s word in Christ. When your mind is aware of the truth, you are set free from fearful and negative thoughts because the truth will set you free.
Therefore, I believe that wearing the helmet of salvation, means that your mind and your thought life are constantly focused on God’s values, God’s way of thinking, God’s kingdom and God’s word thereby protecting yourself from any foreign or enemy attacks that might be directed to your thought life and belief in God.
Most importantly, having the helmet of salvation means that you have the mind of Jesus Christ. Since you are born again, your mind is being renewed daily so that your thinking conforms to the image and thoughts of Jesus Christ.
Our minds are renewed daily when we obey and trust in God’s word. Our minds are protected when we yield and rely on the Holy Spirit to lead us with wisdom and understanding in every aspect and situation in life.
Remember that most of the battles with the enemy are in the mind. Therefore your mind must be fully equipped with the knowledge and the things of God in order to fight and protect yourself from the enemy.
TODAY. Protect your mind. Put on the helmet of salvation.