What Do Mormons Believe?
The Mormons also known as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was founded by Joseph Smith in the 1820s.
Joseph Smith claims to have experienced a series of visions of God the Father and Jesus Christ and also visitations by an “angel” called Moroni who directed him to a buried book of “golden plates”. According to Smith, the angel Moroni was the guardian of the golden plates, which Latter Day Saints believe were the source material for the Book of Mormon, which is a sacred text of the Mormon religion and beliefs.
Therefore the golden plates are the source from which Joseph Smith said he translated into English, the Book of Mormon.
It’s important to note that while the Latter Day Saints claim to be Christians and claim to believe in Jesus Christ, it is evident from their literature such as the Book of Mormon and other writings of Joseph Smith, that the Mormons do not believe in the essentials of the Christian doctrine.
The Mormons have many beliefs that are contrary to foundational Biblical teachings and as a result, they have been classified as a non-christian cult.
Some of the beliefs of the Mormons which totally contradict the Bible and the Christian faith are as follows:
- The Mormons believe that god was once a man who lived on a planet just like we do (Mormon Doctrine, p. 321). They also believe that god earned his divinity while living on that planet. Essentially they believe that god is an exalted person but who has a body of flesh and bones
- The Mormons also believe that god has a wife. They believe that god and his wife had children (Mormon Doctrine, p. 516). The first born was Jesus and then after that Lucifer was born and then later other spirit children were born through the procreation of god and his goddess wife.
- The Mormons believe that if men on earth practice Mormonism to its fullest, then we too can become gods who also procreate so that we can create our own dynasty of other gods.
- So the Mormons do not believe in just one God, but the Mormons believe in MANY gods (Mormon Doctrine, p. 163) and that if humans practice Mormonism, they too can eventually become gods (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345-347).
- Therefore Mormons believe that Jesus is literally the first born created child and that Lucifer is a brother of Jesus (Mormon Doctrine, p. 192) and that both Jesus and Lucifer have other godlike brothers and sisters.
- Also Mormons do not regard the Bible as being their spiritual authority. Instead they believe that the Book of Mormon which was published by their founder Joseph Smith as being the ultimate spiritual authority (History of the Church, vol. 4, p. 461).
2 Corinthians 11:4 says “For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough”.
So the Bible speaks of people who will come and proclaim a different Jesus. They will also proclaim a different spirit. And they will proclaim a different gospel.
Unfortunately, the Mormons are one those groups who proclaim a different message and a different God than the God who is mentioned in the Bible.
The god of the Mormons and the God of the Christians are totally different.
The Bible teaches that there is only ONE God (Deuteronomy 6:4) who eternally exists in 3 Persons; that is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
In Isaiah 43:10 God says that He is the only God and there was no other god before Him and there will be no other god after Him.
The Bible also says that God is not a man that He should lie / sin, but God is perfect and God is Spirit and those who worship God must worship Him in spirit and in truth.
The Bible certainly teaches that God does NOT have a wife. God did not need a wife to create humanity or any other creature on this planet (Genesis 1).
The Mormons believe in the literature of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. However, the Bible is the inspired word of God and the Bible should be the ultimate spiritual authority in a Christian believer’s life (2 Timothy 3:16).
Most importantly, the Bible also teaches that salvation is only through one Person – Jesus Christ (John 14:6) – who paid for our sins on the cross & resurrected on the 3rd day so that you and I may have eternal life.
Do Christians and Mormons worship the same God? No they don’t.
See our articles: What is the Trinity? , Is Jesus God? , The Role of The Holy Spirit , What is the Gospel?
If you have been reading this article and believe that you are a member of a cult and have thoughts of leaving please also read our article: How To Leave and Recover From A Cult
If you are a Mormon or if you have never genuinely accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour – you have the opportunity to put your total trust and faith in the Jesus Christ of the Bible as your Saviour.
True salvation comes only through Jesus Christ and eternal life is a free gift in Christ.
DO YOU WANT TO BE A CHRISTIAN or A FOLLOWER OF JESUS CHRIST???
1. ACKNOWLEDGE: “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).
This means that we have all broken God’s laws and God’s 10 Commandments like those mentioned in Exodus 20:1-17. For example, if you have told a lie; if you have stolen something; if you have lusted after somebody or if you have coveted. This means you are guilty of breaking at least one or more of God’s 10 Commandments. Breaking God’s commandments makes us sinners. The fact that we are sinners who have broken God’s law means that we are accountable to God who is the Lawgiver. Romans 6:23 says that “the wages of sin is death BUT the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord”
You must acknowledge that you are a sinner who has broken God’s commandments and that you therefore need Jesus in your life
2. REPENT: “Unless you repent you will all likewise perish” (Luke 13:3), “Repent therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19)
Repenting means: to change your mind; a sincere turning away, in heart, mind and action;
Therefore God wants you to repent of sinful values and of sinful living. God wants you to decide to follow Him and to make Jesus the Lord of your life.
3. CONFESSION: “If we confess our sins. He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). “That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9)
God is a forgiving God. God will forgive any sin that you have done because Jesus died for ALL your sins and to set you free from the bondage of all types of sin in your life.
4. BELIEVE: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).
You must believe that ONLY Jesus can save you and restore your relationship with God. You must believe that Jesus is the ONLY way by which you can have everlasting life and escape from eternal separation from God. You must believe that Jesus died on the cross for you and resurrected from the grave.
“He came to His own, and His own did not receive him, But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name” (John 1:11-12)
By faith, You must receive Jesus as Your Lord & Savior and therefore; you become a child of God; you become born again; you become a Christian; you restore your broken relationship with God
Why Not Make Your Eternal Decision NOW?
We become born again Christians by GRACE through FAITH or TOTAL TRUST in Jesus Christ as our Lord & Savior (Galatians 3:26) & (Ephesians 2:8,9). Salvation is a FREE gift received through FAITH in Christ.
PLEASE NOTE: You can choose to pray in your own words. This prayer is a sample prayer and it is only an EXPRESSION of your faith, belief & trust in Jesus. Salvation is by GRACE through FAITH or BELIEVING in Christ Jesus as your Lord & Saviour.
“Lord Jesus, I thank You for Your love. I thank You that You died on the cross for me and resurrected so that I may have life through You.
I confess Lord that I have sinned against You and today I ask You to forgive me of all of my sins, past present and future.
I repent of all of my sins and I ask You to cleanse me Jesus.
Thank You for forgiving my sins.
From this moment, come into my life Lord Jesus & take full control of my life. I want to follow You Jesus and I want to follow Your ways. Save me and from today, make me the person You want me to be.
I receive You Lord Jesus right now by faith. I trust You as my Lord and Savior – Amen”
Have you accepted & believed in Jesus Christ as a result of reading this article? If so please acknowledge by clicking the “I Have Accepted Jesus Christ” button below