God’s View of Sexuality
1 Thessalonians 4:3 ESV
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality
The world and the people of the world see and define life more differently than God. Therefore in life there is always two opposing views regarding a particular circumstance or various issues in life. First there is God’s view and then there is the worldview.
For example, this is why God tells us through His word that we should “not be conformed to the standards of this world” (Romans 12:2). God does not want us to be influenced in our thinking and in our beliefs by the philosophies and teachings of the world.
God will also tell us that His “thoughts are not our thoughts” and that His “ways are not our ways” (Isaiah 55:8,9). God wants our thoughts to be the same as His thoughts. He wants us to seek after His ways and His standards.
One of the main issues affecting our culture and society where God and the world differ is the issue of SEX. The world has it’s ever changing and evolving view, while God has always remained firm regarding His view of sexuality.
The World’s View of Sexual Behavior
The World’s view of sexuality today is that
- It’s okay to have sex before you are married;
- It is okay to have sex with multiple partners;
- If you are STILL a virgin then you’re not “cool” or there must be something “wrong” with you;
- Homosexuality is okay;
- You need to try and experiment with sex first in order to see if you are “compatible”
- Sex equals love; sex increases love; you can’t live without sex
- Masturbation is okay
- It’s boring to stay faithful and have sex with only one person for the rest of your life.
God is NOT a killjoy. God is NOT anti-sex. God created sex. However, God wants sex to be appreciated and performed according to His guidelines and not according to the guidelines of the world.
God’s view of Sexual Behaviour
- Sex is not for the unmarried. It is only to be enjoyed among the married. (Hebrews 13:14 ESV – “Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous”)
- If you are married, you should not have an extra-marital affair. You should remain faithful to your spouse. (Exodus 20:14 ESV – “You shall not commit adultery”)
- There is nothing wrong with being a virgin. It’s perfectly OKAY to be a 40 year old virgin. If you are a young unmarried person and all your peers are having sex, it does not mean that you should follow their behavior. (2 Timothy 2:22 ESV – “So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart”)
- You do not need to experiment with sex. Sex is only for your future spouse. Masturbation is not God’s best – even if “you’re not hurting anyone” – you are hurting yourself – and hurting God’s feelings (1 Corinthians 6:18 ESV – “Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body”)
- Homosexuality is not God’s best for anyone’s life. God DOES NOT hate any people or individual who is homosexual and neither does God encourage hatred towards anybody who is a homosexual. God loves us all despite our flaws – however though He loves us, it does not mean that He has to support our bad habits or behaviors. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ESV – “Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.”)
God is able to forgive anybody who has committed any type of sexual immorality. When you ask God to forgive you, God will cleanse you of ALL sin and He will not condemn you.
1 John 1:9 ESV
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.