God’s View of Same-Sex Marriage
Throughout the world various countries are beginning to gradually accept not only homosexuality – but also the idea that it is okay for homosexuals to marry one another.
Both homosexuality and the idea of same-sex marriage are a sin against God and they do not promote Biblical values. Gay people and gay supporters have even become as bold as to suggest that if anybody does not accept homosexual behaviour or homosexual marriage that such anti-gay people are infringing on their human right and are promoting hate speech. God speaks against the homosexual lifestyle.
Therefore, the issue of homosexuality is neither a human right nor can speaking against it be considered as hate speech because homosexuality and gay marriage is an unnatural behaviour which is against God’s creation laws and against God’s word.
The Bible, history, our physiology and creation itself argue against same-sex marriage. Marriage is designed to be between a male and a female. Same-sex marriage goes against God’s natural order and purpose.
Genesis 2:24 NKJV
Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
- Marriage is a union that God Himself created. Marriage was not created by man, but God created marriage for His glory and for man’s benefit.
- However when God created marriage, he created this union to be governed and defined by Godly parameters, boundaries, guidelines and rules. Therefore, man does not make up His own rules pertaining to the institution of marriage, but it is God who makes the rules as to how marriage should be defined because it is God who created the institution of marriage. (see Marriage & Divorce Bible Verses)
Biblical marriage can be defined as the lifetime union of a man and a woman, primarily for the purpose of building a family and providing a stable environment for that family.
According to Genesis 2:24 a man (male) shall be joined with his wife (female) and they shall become “one flesh”.
A man shall leave his mother (female) and father (male) to be with his wife (female) so that the two of them (as male & female) can start their own family.
- According to God’s word, only a man and a woman can become “one flesh”
- God did not intend for a man and another man to become “one flesh”, nor did God intend for a woman and another woman to become “one flesh”.
Genesis 2:18-23 NKJV
And the Lord God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” … And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.
And Adam said: “This is now bone of my bones, And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man.”
- When Adam was the only human that existed, God did not decide to make another human who biologically and physically was identical to Adam – instead God made Woman – who was physically and biologically different from Adam.
- When Adam was created, he was created from the dust. But when the Woman Eve was created, God took a portion out of Adam in order to create Adam’s wife.
- God created Woman for Adam so that Adam would be complete and one flesh with her. God created for the man “a helper comparable to him”. This is what marriage means to God.
- In the beginning, God did not create another male “helper” for Adam, but God created a female helper for Adam
- The first thing that Adam acknowledges and declares when he first sets his eyes on Eve is “This is now bone of my bones, And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man”. This is a clear sign in Adam’s eyes when God had presented Eve to him that Adam himself knew that he was meant to be with her as husband (male) and wife (female). A gay couple may profess love for one another, but a gay couple can never profess to be one flesh in the same way as Adam declares about his wife.
Romans 1:26-27 NKJV
For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
Homosexuality and same-sex marriage go against God’s plan for marriage in many ways:
- Purpose of Sex – Sexual intercourse was created by God – not by man. God created sex for both our pleasure and for procreation. This is why God created the sexual organs of a man to be different from a woman. He however created it with certain parameters or rules which are governed by His word. (see Bible Verses on Sexual Sin)
- Physically and biologically – When two men have sexual intercourse they cannot “be fruitful and multiply” the way that God intended. Two men or two women cannot sexually reproduce together to create a new life by means of their union. Procreation is only between a man and a woman, and therefore gay marriage cannot be God’s plan neither can gay marriage be equal to God’s definition of marriage.
- If God had intended the human race to be fulfilled through both heterosexual and homosexual marriage, He would have designed our individual bodies to allow reproduction through both means and made both means of sexual intercourse healthy and natural. Romans 1:26-27 reminds us that homosexuality is not natural and is “against nature”.
- All of God’s creation not only speak of God’s attributes, but they speak of God’s intentions and purpose. Even the animals that God has created speak against homosexuality because every male animal needs a female animal to procreate. It would be unnatural for animals of the same sex to be sexually intimate. Why should this understanding be so difficult for man to grasp?
For those who support homosexuality and gay marriage this issue might be hard to accept. However if we read God’s word and accept God’s word over our own personal opinions, then we will realise that God’s word is the final authority on this matter. The world might create its own laws and opinions – but for the Christian believer, God has already advised us on this particular matter through His scriptures and most importantly through the physical and biological manner in which He created us. Man’s laws and opinions may change – but God’s word and God’s nature does not change. Therefore whatever is a sin in God’s eyes, shall always remain a sin – even if we change our worldly laws to suit our personal opinions.
1 John 1:9-10 NKJV
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Does God love gay people? Yes He does. God loves all of us despite our flaws and misgivings. However God does not love sin. God warns us that there are consequences when we choose to walk in sin.
God does not want sin to have control over our lives. God, through His Son Jesus Christ, wants us to overcome sin. In God’s eyes, homosexuality is a sin. He loves gay people, but He hates the sin.
Whenever we confess and repent of our sins, God is just and faithful to forgive us no matter how horrible our sin is.
Romans 5:8-11 NKJV
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation.