What Are Christians Saved From?
Romans 10:9,10,13 ESV
Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved … 13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
What does it mean when somebody becomes biblically saved? What does Biblical salvation mean to the Christian and what are Christians saved from? Also – why is Biblical salvation important?
Biblical salvation is the means by which God provides redemption and deliverance from sin through repentance and faith in Jesus Christ. Biblical salvation is an act of God’s love and grace through Jesus Christ to provide man with eternal life and an eternal relationship with Him. Man cannot save himself, but only Jesus can save man because Jesus is “the way, the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father except through” Him (John 14:6).
Therefore, when a person becomes a Christian, what is the Christian saved from and why is it important for all non-Christians / non-believers to be saved?
The Christian is saved from the following:
(1) ETERNITY IN HELL – (Revelation 21:8 – But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars–their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”)
Life on this earth is temporary. However, the “second death” as mentioned in Revelations 21:8 is eternal separation from God where people who have not been saved will spend an eternity in hell. Therefore a Christian is saved from eternity in hell while the non-believer will spend eternity in hell upon death on this earth.
(Matthew 25:46 – “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”)
(2) THE POWER OF SIN IN ONE’S PERSONAL LIFE – (Romans 6:5-7 – For if we have been united with Him (Jesus) in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with Him in a resurrection like His. 6 We know that our old self was crucified with Him (Jesus) in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. 7 For one who has died has been set free from sin.)
Christ Jesus has saved us from the power of sin over our lives and we are given strength and the ability to overcome sin through the Holy Spirit. The Christian’s character and nature should resemble that of Jesus and not of the worldly lusts and sinful passions. Sin no longer has dominion over the true born again Christian.
(Romans 6:12-14 – Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal bodies, to make you obey their passions. 13 Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness. 14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.)
(3) THE WORRIES & INFLUENCES OF THIS WORLD – (Philippians 4:6-7 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.)
The Christian is saved from such issues like anxieties, depression and the worries of the world for long as he/she is truly trusting in God. The peace of God is not necessarily the absence of problems or challenges, but the peace of God is an internal peace and tranquility in the midst of the problems. Therefore even though the Christian faces external problems, he is internally and spiritually confident in Christ that he will overcome the problems and he is not allowing such problems to negatively hurt him. The Christian continues to be governed by the peace and joy of the Holy Spirit.
(John 14:27 – Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.)
(4) THE POWER OF THE DEVIL & THE DEMONIC – (Luke 10:19-20 – Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you. 20 Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”)
The Christian is saved from demonic influences. For example, a Christian cannot be demon possessed. Instead a Christian has power in Christ Jesus to overcome demonic influences and attacks. The Christian is protected by God from the devils influences and God is able to provide a way out whenever we are tempted by the devil. (1 Corinthians 10:13 – No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.)
(5) FROM THE WRATH & JUDGMENT OF GOD – (Romans 1:18-19 – For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them.)
Sinful living does not please God and neither does He tolerate sin. A Christian is saved from facing God’s wrath and God’s judgment upon the unbelievers and those who would choose to live an ungodly life on earth. The non-believer will face condemnation while the Christian will not be condemned; therefore a Christian is saved from condemnation.
(John 3:18-20 – Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. 19 And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their deeds were evil.)
GOD OFFERS SALVATION TO EVERY PERSON & NON-CHRISTIAN
2 Peter 3:9 – The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
God offers salvation to EVERY person who has not yet become a Christian. It is God’s desire that EVERYONE should have eternal life and that EVERYONE spend eternity in Heaven with Him as long as we accept, believe, repent & receive Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour. Salvation is a CHOICE that a person must choose to want. To refuse the Biblical salvation that God offers through Christ Jesus is to choose eternity in hell (and the 4 other points mentioned above). But to choose salvation through Christ Jesus is to choose eternal life with God.
HOW TO BECOME A GENUINE CHRISTIAN
If you are not a Christian, and you want to become a born-again Christian, you can do so by confessing with your mouth and believing in your heart that Jesus is Lord and that He paid for all your sins and came to save you from the power of the enemy so that you may have an eternal everlasting relationship with Him.
that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
DO YOU WANT TO BE A CHRISTIAN or A FOLLOWER OF JESUS CHRIST???
1. ACKNOWLEDGE: “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). “God be merciful to me a sinner” (Luke 18:13).
You must acknowledge that you are a sinner and that you therefore need Jesus in your life.
2. REPENT: “Unless you repent you will all likewise perish” (Luke 13:3), “Repent therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19)
Repenting means: to change your mind; a sincere turning away, in heart, mind and action;
Therefore God wants you to repent of sinful values and of sinful living. God wants you to decide to
follow Him and to make Jesus the Lord of your life.
3. CONFESSION: “If we confess our sins. He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). “That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9)
God is a forgiving God. God will forgive any sin that you have done because Jesus died for ALL your sins and to set you free from the bondage of all types of sin in your life.
4. BELIEVE: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).
You must believe that ONLY Jesus can save you and restore your relationship with God. You must believe that Jesus is the ONLY way by which you can have everlasting life and escape from eternal separation from God. You must believe that Jesus died on the cross for you and resurrected from the grave.
“He came to His own, and His own did not receive him, But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name” (John 1:11-12)
By faith, You must receive Jesus as Your Lord & Savior and therefore; you become a child of God; you become born again; you become a Christian; you restore your broken relationship with God
Why Not Make Your Eternal Decision NOW?
We become born again Christians by GRACE through FAITH or TOTAL TRUST in Jesus Christ as our Lord & Savior (Galatians 3:26) & (Ephesians 2:8,9). Salvation is a FREE gift received through FAITH in Christ.
This prayer is only an EXPRESSION of your faith, belief & trust in Jesus.
“Lord Jesus, I thank You for Your love. I thank You that You died on the cross for me and resurrected so that I may have life through You.
I confess Lord that I have sinned against You and today I ask You to forgive me of all of my sins, past present and future.
I repent of all of my sins and I ask You to cleanse me Jesus.
Thank You for forgiving my sins.
From this moment, come into my life Lord Jesus & take full control of my life. I want to follow You Jesus and I want to follow Your ways. Save me and from today, make me the person You want me to be.
I receive You Lord Jesus right now by faith. I make You my Lord and Savior – Amen”
Have you accepted & believed in Jesus Christ as a result of reading this article. If so please acknowledge by clicking the “I Have Accepted Jesus Christ” button below