Jesus, the True Vine
John 15:5 NKJV
I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
When God created us, He created us for a purpose. Therefore whatever we do must have meaning and purpose. Our life must have direction.
However, if we are to be fruitful and have purpose in our lives, we must abide in Jesus and He must be at the throne of our life. Jesus clearly states that without Him we can do nothing. Therefore if we are to do anything meaningful in God’s eyes, then we cannot do it without Jesus being a part of it.
John 15:1-4 NKJV
I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
Abiding in Jesus, the True Vine means the following:
- A vine has branches on which grapes for example can grow. For the branches to have purpose, they must be abide in the vine so that they can be fruitful. Otherwise if they do not perform their life purpose of bearing fruit, then they are removed from the vine. (John 15:6 – If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.)
- Therefore Jesus is the True Vine and people are the branches. Jesus teaches that our relationship with Him must be such that we look towards Him as the ultimate source and sustainer of all that we need. As long as we abide in Him and He in us, we can be fruitful in every area of our life. (John 15:4 – Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.)
- Our true identity can be found in Jesus because we are attached to Him as the vine. When we abide in Jesus, we know who we are and we are not ashamed of our identity in Christ. Through Christ we are able to overcome low self-esteem issues or any opposition to our true identity in Christ. We are disciples of Jesus (John 15:8 – By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.)
- When we abide in Jesus, then the Father is able to prune us so that we continue to bear MORE fruit and so that we continue to grow and be productive for the kingdom. The more we draw closer to God, the more God will draw close to us. (John 15:2 – …and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.)
- When we bear fruit because of our obedience to abiding in Jesus, we then automatically glorify God in our actions (John 15:8 – By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples)
TODAY. Abide in the True Vine – Jesus.