Why We Should Be Thankful
If you were to sit down and write down the things that you are thankful to God for, how many things would you write down? Are you generally a person who is always thankful no matter what your circumstances or environment is like?
1 Thessalonians 5:18 NKJV
In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
According to Paul we are to be thankful to God IN EVERYTHING.
I take that to mean that God wants us to be thankful in good circumstances and also IN bad circumstances. No matter what challenge or what problem you are facing at any particular time, God wants you to have an attitude of gratitude.
There are many reasons why we should be thankful. Having a thankful attitude is “the will of God in Christ Jesus for you”
Why You Should Have A Thankful Attitude
1. When we are thankful to God even in a bad situation it helps us to keep our focus on God and not on our problems. Focusing only on your problems leads to worry and anxiety. However, when you are consistently thankful, God’s peace and joy will dwell inside you
2. When we are thankful to God we acknowledge and demonstrate that God is STILL in control of our lives, our situation and our destiny.
3. When we are thankful to God, it means that we don’t need to complain and sulk because our trust is in the Lord.
4. When we are thankful to God, it means that we are focused on the GOODNESS of the LORD and not on the size of our problems. We realize that the GOODNESS of the LORD in our lives will overcome any bad circumstance we may face.
5. When we are thankful to God, He is pleased with us because it demonstrates that we love and appreciate Him during ALL situations. We are thankful in EVERY season in our life.
6. When we are thankful to God, we demonstrate by FAITH that the devil is ALREADY defeated.
Philippians 2:14-16 NKJV
Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,
We currently live in a generation that wants everything at the press of a button. So when things don’t happen so smoothly, our generation starts complaining & disputing.
God wants us to do ALL things without complaining or fighting. Instead we must replace such negative attitudes with a thankful and rejoicing heart.
God has given us such grace that if we only see, we will know that there are MORE THINGS to be THANKFUL for than there are to be complaining about.
Philippians 4:4-7 NKJV
Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS. Again I will say, REJOICE!
Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
Be anxious for nothing, but in EVERYTHING by prayer and supplication, with THANKSGIVING, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.