How Can I Have The Joy of The Lord?
How can you have the joy of the Lord in your life? Is there a difference between the joy of the Lord and the joy / happiness that comes from the world?
The scriptures reveal that joy is part of the fruit of the Holy Spirit. Furthermore, the joy that is of God is far different from the definition of joy / happiness according to the world.
Acts 13:52 NKJV
And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
The Greek word for JOY when referring to the Fruit of the Spirit is “Chara”.
- This type of joy comes only from God. The Holy Spirit is the source of this type of joy.
- It is a supernatural joy.
- This joy is not based on human happiness nor is it just a feeling.
- This type of joy will remain and continue to exist even during hard times.
- This type of joy will strengthen you through your trials.
- This type of joy exists, not because of the circumstances, but it exists because of the Holy Spirit and it is part of God’s personality.
People look towards money, power, material things and various types of relationships for joy. But the problem of having such things as the source of your joy, is that such joy is short-lived and is temporary. Money can go; power can be lost; material things can burn; and if your joy is based on such things then your joy is temporary and susceptible to the circumstances.
Nehemiah 8:10 NKJV
… for the joy of the Lord is your strength.
Your joy must come from the Holy Spirit. The source of your joy must be God. Because the joy of the Lord is forever. The joy of the Lord is your strength and nobody can take this type of joy away from you.
James 1:2 NKJV
My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,
The Holy Spirit is able to allow your joy to remain even through trials. He is able to strengthen you so that your challenges do not overwhelm you.
How to allow the joy of the Holy Spirit to work in your life…
6 Ways To Have The Joy of The Lord In Your Life
- You must be a born again Christian; John 3:5-6 says – Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit”.
- You must abide in Christ Jesus; Believe His word and totally trust in Him. In John 15:11, Jesus says “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full”
- At ALL times in your life, you must have a thankful attitude – ALL THE TIME. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says “In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you”. Having a thankful attitude gets you focused on the good things going on in your life and not on your problems. When you are thankful to God always, you allow the joy of the Holy Spirit to manifest in your life.
- Think good and righteous thoughts. Do not worry. Don’t focus on your problems. Philippians 4:8 says “Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy — meditate on these things.”
- Be joyful. Rest in the Lord. Give all your issues to the Lord and let God fight your battles for you. Philippians 4:4 says “Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!”
- You must be led by the Holy Spirit and not walk in the flesh. Galatians 5:16 says “I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh”
But the fruit of the Spirit is … joy …
TODAY. Be filled with the joy of the Holy Spirit in Jesus’ name.