How to Seek God’s Will (Part 1)
Do you sometimes get confused about your life? Do you have problems on what decisions to make in your life? Are there people around you who are giving you advice but you just don’t know whose advice to follow? Indeed in such situations, life can be confusing.
It’s very important before making any major decisions in your life or regarding a particular situation that you learn to seek God’s will or plan first. Living a lifestyle of consulting the Lord’s will in any area of our lives is very important. From today, if you desire to live a life without confusion where you seek the Lord’s plans, why don’t you try the following Biblical methods:
(1) READ, STUDY & MEDIATE GOD’S WORD – (Psalm 1:1-3 – Blessed is the man, Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree, Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.)
(2) SPEND TIME WITH GOD – (James 4:8 – Draw near to God and He will draw near to you…)
(3) ASK GOD FOR WISDOM, KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING IN YOUR LIFE – (Proverbs 24:3-4 – Through wisdom a house is built, And by understanding it is established; By knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches.)
(4) DON’T LEAN ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING – (Proverbs 3:5-7 – Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil.)
(5) TRUST GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART & HAVE FAITH IN HIM – (Hebrews 11:6 – But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him)
(6) COMMIT ALL YOUR PLANS TO HIM FIRST AND SEEK HIS GUIDANCE THROUGH HIS WORD AND BY HIS SPIRIT. (Proverbs 16:3 – Commit your works to the Lord, And your thoughts will be established.)
(7) LEARN TO LISTEN, RECOGNIZE AND OBEY HIS VOICE – (John 10:27-28 – My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.)
In my future articles, I will endeavor to expand more on the above 7 methods to help us understand why these areas are important if we are to know, understand and apply God’s will and plan in our life.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.
One of the main privileges of being a child of God is that you can come to the Lord with every and any issue that you have on your mind. You can ask Him any question that you like. You can seek Him and come to Him in prayer anytime of the day. There is nothing that God cannot help you with.
Therefore if you are confused about your life, or about a decision that you want to make, it is very important that you INVOLVE God in EVERY AREA and ASPECT of your life.
In order to know the will of the Lord for your life or for a particular challenge that you may encounter, you have to know the will of God by reading, studying and trusting His word. It is through God’s word and by spending time with Him that you learn His nature and He will give you WISDOM, KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING to know His will for every situation in your life.
Ephesians 5:17 NKJV
Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
Without trust or faith in God, you cannot be led by God. Without involving God in every area of your life, you make it difficult for yourself to be led by God.
Always remember that God has more knowledge and experience than you do – so trust Him. Always remember that God is your Creator – so He knows and understands you more than you know or understand yourself – so trust Him. Don’t lean on your own limited and flawed knowledge.